Traditional thyroid testing is limited to TSH. TSH is the hormone produced in your brain that tells your thyroid to produce actual thyroid hormone, which is T4. T4 is still only about 20% of the active thyroid hormone, though; the other 80% is T3. Most of the T4 produced by [...]
I see it over and over again: a patient presents with crushing fatigue, anxiety (sometimes panic attacks), insomnia, joint pain, back pain, depression (sometimes mood swings), and general malaise — the gamut of symptoms, basically — and we chase them with one physical treatment after another. They get a little [...]
Sometimes life is just stressful, and there’s nothing you can do about it. In those situations, all we can do is take good care of ourselves and learn good stress management techniques. But most of us tend to assume there’s nothing we can do about our stress, even when that [...]
You may have noticed that when you’re more stressed out, you don’t recover as fast—from illnesses, from hard workouts, or from physical traumas like surgery. Here’s why. The Stress Response Stressor occurs. The core of your adrenals flood your body with adrenaline automatically. This makes your heart race, your bronchioles [...]
I wrote here about the physiology of the stress response: why it can make you fatigued, why it affects your blood pressure, and why it can cause weight fluctuations. But adrenal fatigue also sets you up for estrogen dominance. This predisposes women to: PMS: irritability, weepiness, anxiety, depression, mood swings Breast tenderness [...]
The Stress Response 101 Your adrenals are these two pyramid-shaped glands that sit on top of your kidneys. They’ve got several jobs, but the biggest is to help your body cope with stress. Here’s how they do that. You get attacked by a bear (or whatever). Without sparing the critical [...]
Hair loss is very common among both men and women, but in different patterns. Male pattern baldness is usually associated with an excess of dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a metabolite of testosterone in the androgen family. This is genetic, and aside from medications and supplements that block the enzyme which converts testosterone [...]
"Stress" is blamed for about 80% of doctor visits. Here's how stress causes illness.
It is possible to lower your blood pressure and heart rate with your thoughts, and here's why.
Naturopathic tips to de-stress your life and still accomplish your goals!