Prep Time: 5 min | Total Time: 1 hour| Servings: 4
Artichokes are a great vegetable for liver health! They’re also high in antioxidants, and help with cholesterol control. Bonus: they also taste great, if you do them right.
- 4 small artichokes
- Shrimp and Crab Boil (about a capful)
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- Salted organic butter
- Cut off the sharp edges on the leaves of the artichokes and the excess stem.
- Chop the garlic in small pieces and stuff between the leaves for flavor.
- Rinse the artichokes and put them in a steaming basket in a large pan, with a layer of water high enough to cover the bottom portions of each of the artichokes. Add the Shrimp and Crab Boil to the water.
- Steam artichokes for 30 min to an hour until the outer leaves can be easily pulled off (depending on the size of the artichoke.)
- Melt butter and place in a separate dish.
- Remove artichokes from the water, and place on a plate. Have another plate handy for the discarded leaves.
- Remove each leaf one at a time, dip it in butter, and slide your teeth along about the bottom quarter of each leaf to eat the artichoke. Discard the rest of the leaf.
- Once you’ve removed all the leaves (you’ll probably have very soft leaves toward the center, and will have to either bite off the bottom portion, or discard them), scrape off the “hair” on top of the artichoke heart. Submerge the heart in butter, cut up and eat! (This is the best part.)
For daily tips in your news feed, Like Dr. Lauren on Facebook!